During the cold winter months, it can be frustrating trying to stick to a healthy diet, what with all the decadent comfort food all around. Our bodies tend to want more food in order to keep warm, so we gravitate towards heavier foods. One thing in particular that can be such a comforting drink is, of course, hot chocolate. Only, it isn’t the healthiest thing to have, as you most probably know. Well, what if we told you there is a healthier version of it you can make for yourself and even your kids? This way, you’ll have that warm drink to sip on a wintery night without feeling guilty or like you’re ‘cheating’. This simple recipe is not only a healthier alternative to the much-beloved drink, but it’s also completely vegan! So, whether you were looking for a healthier version of this drink or simply a dairy-free one, we’ve got you covered. Not to mention, the recipe is simple, easy to follow, and doesn’t take long to make at all!
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup light coconut milk (from the can)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
How To Make It
- Grab a small pot and add all the ingredients to it over medium-low heat.
- Whisk vigorously to combine all the ingredients and get rid of any lumps in the mixture.
- Be careful not to let the mixture boil! Doing so can burn the almond milk and ruin its flavor.
- Let the mixture warm over the heat for 3-5 minutes. Once it’s hot, remove from the heat and pour it into 2 mugs.
- Feel free to add any toppings like whipped cream, chocolate shavings, marshmallows, or a dusting of cocoa powder.
- Serve and enjoy!